Concordia College History  
 
Concordia College was dedicated Oct. 31, 1891, only 10 years after the first Norwegian settlers had made their home in the Red River Valley. These settlers valued education and their religious heritage and one of their first priorities was to establish a quality school.

The Northwestern Lutheran College Association, composed of Red River Valley Lutherans, purchased the property of the Bishop Whipple School in Moorhead. Episcopalians had started the school a few years earlier, but it had closed due to a lack of students. It soon became Concordia's first building and still stands today.

Concordia started as an academy, but soon grew to include liberal arts courses at the college level. In 1913, officials organized a complete college department and granted the first baccalaureate degrees in 1917. That same year, Park Region College of Fergus Falls, Minn., became part of Concordia. By 1927, Concordia discontinued the academy portion of the institution.

Concordia celebrated its centennial in 1991, with festivities lasting for the entire academic year. The college continues to hold a strong relationship with Lutheran congregations in the Upper Great Plains area and is owned and operated by the congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in northern Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana.

Concordia College Presidents

Pamela M. Jolicoeur-2004-present
Paul J. Dovre (interim)-2003-2004
Thomas W. Thomsen-1999-2003
Paul J. Dovre-1975-1999
Joseph L. Knutson-1951-1975
John N. Brown-1925-1951
Johan A. Aasgaard-1911-1925
Henry O. Shurson-1909-1911
Rasmus R. Bogstad-1902-1909
Hans H. Aaker-1893-1902
Ingebrikt F. Grose-1891-1893