Jeff Ottmar tries to win the ball on one of the four Cobber corner kicks in their 3-1 loss to Carleton.

Otra Vez!
Courtesy of, Release: October 22

Carleton Game Statistics - Now Online

MOORHEAD, Minn.-- In Spanish, the phrase "otra vez" means "again". In 2005, the Concordia men's soccer team has unfortunately had that phrase bestowed upon them as a season-long theme.

Try as they might, the Cobbers can not shed the nightmare of giving up goals in bunches and once again it proved costly as Concordia allowed a pair of goals 4:42 apart in the first half and lost 3-1 to the Carleton in the final home game of the regualr season.

Three different Knights scored in the game as they extended their winning streak to six games, which ties a program record for most consecutive wins in a single season. Carleton also passes the 10-win mark, improving to 10-6-0 overall. The Knights are now 3-5-0 in the MIAC. The Cobbers are now 1-14-0 overall and 0-9-0 in league play.

Concordia went toe-to-toe with the Knights, who entered the game on a five-game winning streak, for the first 35 minutes of the game. The game was decided in a stretch of five minutes just before the end of the first half.

Carleton scored the first of their three goals on a finish from Bobby Phillips at 35:08. The Knights then added the back-breaker when Robbie Weber slotted a ball past Cobber goalie Dustin Pattengale at 39:50.

Concordia was able to stop the bleeding and get to halftime without allowing a third goal.

In the second half, the teams traded chances and goals as both teams were able to score a goal in the final 45 minutes.

Concordia briefly pulled the game to within a single goal when Chase Hegarty snapped off a driving shot that beat Carleton goalie Brian Aleinikoff over the top. The goal, Hegarty's second of the season, which came at 70:26 gave the Cobbers a brief shot of momentum.

The boost of energy was short-lived as the Knights added their crucial third goal of the game just 5:55 later. Thomas Ashton recorded his fifth goal of the year to put Concordia back into a two-goal hole.

In the game, Carleton held a 14-6 advantage in total shots and an 8-2 mark in shots on goal. The Knights had 11 corner kicks to four for the Cobbers.

Concordia used two goalies in the game. Starting goalie Brett Oestreich played the first 27:58 of the game and made two saves before leaving the game with a head injury. Pattengale played the final 62:02, made three saves and was awarded the loss. Carleton also played a pair of keepers in the game. Ross Mattson played the first 45 minutes and did not record a save in picking up his fifth win of the year. Aleinikoff played the entire second half and made one save to preserve the victory.

Concordia will finish off the 2005 season when they play at St. John's on Saturday, Oct. 29 at 3:00pm.