Concordia fell to St. Thomas 5-0 in the MIAC opener in a game that had an unfortunate plot twist for the Cobbers.  
MIAC-Opening Script Change!
Courtesy of, Release: September 14

StatsRecap | Photos |

Moorhead, Minn.-- The script for Concordia’s first conference game of the MIAC season was being followed very closely until an untimely scene change rewrote the entire story and sent the Cobbers to a 5-0 defeat at the hands of St. Thomas.

The Cobbers worked through the opening 15 minutes of stage nerves and had settled into a solid game of end-to-end soccer. After the Tommies opened the scoring with a goal at the 18:50 mark, fate intervened in a terrible way for Concordia. Already playing with a yellow card, Cobber senior defender Judd Mann was shown a red card for debating the spot of a Concordia free kick at 21:25. The Cobbers were then forced to improvise and play 10-on-11 for the final 68:35 of the game.

Rattled by the perplexing call, Concordia struggled to regain composure, but were able to keep the margin at one thanks to a pair of crucial stops by goalkeeper Dustin Pattengale. The Cobbers nearly scored the equalizer, but Kevin Quimby’s shot bounced off the post and the subsequent rebound shot by Ryan Elling was sent inches wide. It appeared as if Concordia was going to be able to regroup at half time down by only a goal, but the Tommies scored - what perhaps was the biggest goal of the game - just before the break to take a 2-0 lead into intermission.

The plot grew even dimmer for the Cobbers less than two minutes into the second half. St. Thomas came out of the break and scored a third goal at the 45:48 mark. The second period was all St. Thomas as they tacked on two more goals and outshot a weary Cobber team 10-4. Adam Harding finished off the St. Thomas scoring with a pair of goals 1:08 apart towards the later stages of the period.

For the game, St. Thomas held a 22-6 advantage in shots and a 6-2 edge in corner kicks. Pattengale finished the first half with seven saves for Concordia. He was replaced by Brett Oestreich who finished the final 45 minutes with two saves. St. Thomas likewise used a pair of goalies in the game. Starting keeper Matt Carlson did make a save in picking up his third win of the season. Daniel Hutton made two saves in the second half to preserve the shutout.

Concordia will return to MIAC action when they play at Gustavus on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 1:00pm.