Memorial Auditorium is the site for home Cobber basketball games, Volleyball matches and Wrestling Meets
Memorial Auditorium, so named to honor the enlisted men and women who served in World War II, was planned and designed by longtime Concordia football coach Jacobi "Jake" Christiansen. A planner ahead of his time, Christiansen ignored the skeptics who thought the Field House would be too big. He also planned one of the best-designed athletic fields and baseball diamonds in the area. Because of his foresight, the auditorium has served the college well for more than 40 years.
The original structure was started in 1950, but the 198-foot beams, weighing 12 tons each, collapsed during a strong wind. Construction was finally completed in 1952, and the building was remodeled 20 years later. The auditorium has permanent seating for about 1,800 people and, with the addition of bleachers, can hold a capacity crowd of more than 4,500.
It features two full-sized basketball courts, three tennis courts, two smaller gymnasiums, a weight room and locker rooms. The attached swimming pool-recreation center, constructed in 1975, contains a regulation-sized pool with six lanes, both a one-meter and three-meter diving board, a sauna, locker rooms, a balcony overlooking the pool, and an extra deck area for social and recreational functions. Also located in the addition is space for rental recreational equipment and camping gear.
Renovations were completed in 1990. The renovation includes a new wooden wood performance floor surrounded by a synthetic floor.
This page is maintained by the Concordia Sports Information Office email@example.com
Cobber Sports Home Page
Concordia Home Page