Courtesy of GoCobbers.com, Release: April 21, 2007
Concordia-Moorhead 6, Bethel 3
Date: April 21, 2007
Location: Moorhead, Minn. - Concordia College
Individual Match Results:
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Jordy Kamerling/ Paul Tuchscherer (Cord) def.
Mark Hallstrom/ Chris Scheevel (BU) 8-5
2. David Torres/ Steve Torres (BU) def.
Ryan Smith/ William Wischer (Cord) 9-8 (9-7)
3. Kirby Johnson/ David Nygaard (Cord) def.
Alex Zable/ Jordan McIver (BU) 8-6
Order of finish: 6, 2 ,5, 1, 4, 3
1. Jordy Kamerling (Cord) def. Scheevel (BU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Will Wischer (Cord) def. D.Torres (BU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Paul Tuchscherer (Cord) def. S.Torres (BU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ryan Smith (Cord) def. Mark Hallstrom (BU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Joel Cassens (BU) def. Kirby Johnson (Cord) 7-5, 6-3
6. Lefevere (BU) def. David Nygaard (Cord) 6-3, 6-3
Match Notes :
- Concordia College 7-6/5-3 MIAC
- Bethel University 7-7/4-3 MIAC
- Concordia wins for the third time in the last four matches
- Bethel loses for the second straight match and fourth in the last five
- Jordy Kamerling wins his eighth straight singles match and is now 10-3 overall
- Kirby Johnson & David Nygaard claim second win of the season at No.3 doubles
MOORHEAD, Minn. (4/21/07)-- The weather tried to put a damper on the Cobbers' playoff-clinching party but in the end it was the solid play of Concordia's top four singles play that helped CC earn a spot in the MIAC conference tournament.
The league has changed the postseason tournament this season so that only the top six teams earn a spot to contend for the playoff championship. By virtue of their 6-3 win over Bethel on Saturday, the Cobbers clinch a spot in the league playoffs that begin on Apr. 27 at Gustavus.
Perhaps the biggest momentum in the match came at No.3 doubles. Having only one win under their belt in the season, Kirby Johnson and David Nygaard stepped up and produced an 8-6 win to give Concordia a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.
With the one-match lead, the top four singles players finished off the Royals as the failed to lose a set. Jordy Kamerling won his eighth straight match with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No.1 singles. For Kamerling it was his team-leading 10th win of the year. He is now 10-3 and it marks the second time in the past three seasons that he has posted double digit win totals.
Wills Wischer followed Kamerling with a 6-3 7-6 (7-5) win at No. 2 singles. Paul Tuchscherer and Ryan Smith then completed the playoff-clinching win by scoring straight set wins at No.3 and No.4 singles. Tuchscherer is finally rounding back into shape after having to not play for a two-week period due to a broken nose. Smith won his fourth straight match by posting a 6-4, 6-4 win over Mark Hallstrom. The win is the fifth of the year for Smith.
Concordia will jockey for playoff position when they host St. Thomas on Sunday, Apr. 22 at 10:30 a.m. A win over the Tommies and the Cobbers can clinch the No.3 seed in the postseason tournament.