Courtesy of GoCobbers.com, Release: April 22, 2007
Concordia-Moorhead 3, St. Thomas 6
Date: April 22, 2007
Location: Moorhead, Minn. - Concordia College
Individual Match Results:
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Ben Herding/ Drew Carlson (UST) def.
Jordy Kamerling/ Paul Tuchscherer (CC) 9-7
2. Josh Tomashek/ Kevin Manzel (UST) def.
Ryan Smith/ William Wischer (CC) 8-1
3. Pat Napurski/ Brett Casey (UST) def.
David Nygaard/ Kirby Johnson (CC) 9-7
Order of finish: 5, 6, 2, 4, 1, 3
1. J. Kamerling (CC) def. Herding (UST) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
2. William Wischer (CC) def. Phil Hanke (UST) 6-2, 6-2
3. Paul Tuchscherer (CC) def. Napurski (UST) 6-2, 6-4
4. Josh Tomashek (UST) def. Ryan Smith (CC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Kevin Manzel (UST) def. Kirby Johnson (CC) 2-1, Johnson retired because of injury
6. Brett Casey (UST) def. Kyle Grunder (CC) 6-1, 6-0
Match Notes :
- Concordia College 7-7/5-4 MIAC
- St. Thomas 8-8/4-5 MIAC
- Cobbers lose for the second time in the past three matches
- Concordia finishes regular season 5-4 in MIAC play
- Jordy Kamerling wins his ninth straight match and 11th overall (11-3)
- Paul Tuchscherer finished regular season 10-4
MOORHEAD, Minn. (4/22/07)-- Concordia had a chance to wrap up the No.3 seed in the upcoming MIAC playoff tournament with a win over St. Thomas. Unfortunately the Cobbers were unable to come away with a doubles win, ended up losing 6-3 to the Tommies and will now have to wait and see if they will earn the No.4, No.5 or No.6 seed.
The loss is the second in the last three matches for Concordia. It also marks the second straight Sunday that CC has lost all three doubles bouts on their way to a lopsided loss. Last week, the Cobbers lost all three doubles matches and lost 7-2 to St. John's. On Sunday, Concordia lost all three doubles matches, including two that were decided by a 9-7 margin, and lost 6-3 to the upstart Tommies.
Concordia finishes the regular season with a 7-7 overall mark and a 5-5 record in conference play. St. Thomas will now play the waiting game to see if they will earn a spot in the league playoffs. UST finishes the regular season at 8-8 overall and 4-5 in the MIAC. The Tommies will secure the sixth and final playoff spot if St. Olaf loses to Carleton (18-2) and Hamline loses to Bethel this week.
The match was decided in doubles play as the Cobbers No.1 and No.3 doubles tandems both lost 9-7. Both teams had chances to seize control of their match but were unable to pass the Tommie twosomes.
In singles play, the Cobbers won the first three matches but then dropped the No.4, No.5 and No.6 singles bouts to fall 6-3.
Jordy Kamerling ended the regular season by winning his ninth straight match. The senior won 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 at No.1 singles to up his season record to 11-3. Kamerling also went 7-2 in conference play with both losses coming in the super-set tiebreaker.
Fellow senior Paul Tuchscherer posted another double-digit win campaign. Competing at the No.3 singles, Tuchscherer won 6-2, 6-4 and is now 10-4 on the year. It is the third time in his career that he has won at least 10 matches in a season. The only time he failed to win 10 singles matches was last year when he went 9-2 and was sidelined by an injury at the start of the year. Tuchscherer is now 45-13 in his career at Concordia.
Cobber junior Wills Wischer was the other singles player to come away with a win on Sunday. Wischer won 6-2, 6-2 at No.2 singles to earn his second straight win. He is 7-3 in his last 10 matches and is 8-6 overall.
Concordia will now wait to find out who they will play in the first round of the MIAC playoffs at Gustavus on Friday, Apr. 27.