Game Stats: Concordia vs. Gustavus Box Score - Now Online!
Pregame Notes: Concordia/Gustavus Pregame Notes (word)
Opponent's Website: Gustavus Men's Basketball
MIAC Website: MIAC Men's Basketball
Complete Gameday Program vs. Gustavus (pdf)
Series History: Concordia/Gustavus Series History
Video Highlights: Concordia vs. Gustavus Video Highlights - Now Online!
Picture Gallery: Concordia vs. Gustavus Picture Gallery - Now Online!
Game Stats: Concordia vs. Gustavus Box Score - Now Online!
Gameday Game Recap:
MOORHEAD, Minn. (1/09/08)-- To paraphrase the words of Chico Escuela "2008 been bery berry good to me." The Cobbers beat second-place Gustavus 69-57 on Wednesday in Moorhead to remain unbeaten in the new calendar year and push their conference winning streak to four games. The four-game conference win streak is the most since the start of the 2003-04 season when they won six straight. Concordia is now 5-6 overall and 4-2 in the MIAC. They are now tied for third with Gustavus in the league standings. The Gusties see their seven-game winning streak come to an end. They are now 8-3 overall and 4-2 in the conference.
If the previous two wins in 2008 showcased the Cobbers' offense, the victory over Gustavus was a testament to the Concordia defense. The 57 points scored by the Gusties is the fewest of the season. CC forced Gustavus into 25 turnovers and limited GAC to only 38.9% shooting from the field. The 25 turnovers is a season-high for the Gusties and most since they had 27 in a game on Dec. 21, 2003. The 38.9% shooting is a season low and the first time they have been held under 40.0% from the floor in 2007-08.
The game was decided in the second half. The Cobbers took a one-point lead into the second 20 minutes and then went on a 17-8 run in the first eight minutes of play in the second half to take a 43-33 lead. From there, Gustavus was never able to get to within eight points. The final Gustie run came with just under six minutes to play. After a Sam Paulson layup cut the lead to eight at 54-46, Concordia responed by scoring the next four points on a pair of free throws by Darrin Olmscheid and a jumper from Luke Linz to regain a double-digit lead at 58-46 with 4:43 to play.
In the second half alone Concordia forced 14 turnovers and
turned those 14 miscues into 25 points.
INDIVIDUAL STAT RECAP
Freshman Erik Lien took his turn to lead the Cobbers in scoring. Lien had a game-high 17 points to go along with a game-high eight rebounds. He has now scored in double figures in nine of the team's 11 games this season. It is the fourth time this year he has led the team in scoring. After scoring a combined 61 points in the previous two games, Linz was held to 15 points on a 6-for-13 (46.1%) shooting night. He was also held to only one rebound in the game. That is the fewest since his freshman season. Freshman Ryan Hagemeyer had a career-high nine points as he came off the bench to go 3-for-5 from the floor and 3-for-4 from the line.
Like the Cobbers, Gustavus had only two players in double figures in scoring. Trevor Wittwer had a team-high 13 points. He was 4-for-6 from the floor and 5-for-7 from the line. He also had a team-high five rebounds. Paulson went 5-for-9 from the field and finished with 10 points. Ryan McPartland came off the bench to grab five boards to match Wittwer.
TEAM STAT RECAP
For the game, Concordia shot 47.9% (23-for-48) from the field and 2-for-10 (20.0%) from 3-point range. The Cobbers had a decisive edge in free throws attempted. CC went 21-for-28 (75.0%) from the line, while GAC was 11-for-15 (73.3%). To go along with their 38.9% from the field, the Gusties also shot a chilly 25.0% (4-for-16) from 3-point range. Gustavus entered the game third in the MIAC in 3-point field goal percentage shooting 49.6% from behind the arc in their first 10 games of the year.
The two teams were even in rebounding with both squads finishing with 27 boards. The Cobbers came away with a season-high 13 steals in the game. They had eight different players with at least one steal and finished with five players with two steals each. The Cobber bench once again gave coach Duane Siverson a big push throughout the game. The CC reserves outscored their counterparts 35-15. Only three non-starters scored for Gustavus.
- Concordia has now won four straight MIAC games. It is the first time they have four consecutive league games since the start of the 2003-04 season when they won six straight.
- The five wins for Concordia is more than they had in all of last season when they went 4-21.
- The Cobbers are now 54-93 lifetime against Gustavus.
- The 57 points allowed by CC marks the third time this season they have held their opponent under 60 points.
- Concordia is 3-1 at home this year and 3-0 against MIAC opponents in Memorial Auditorium.
- The 25 turnovers forced by Concordia against Gustavus is a season high and most since CC forced 28 against MSU Moorhead on Dec. 1, 2003.
- CC made a pair of 3-point field goals in the game. They have now made at least one 3-point field goal in their last 212 games. The last time CC was held without a 3-point basket was against Macalester on Feb. 2, 2000 (0-for-7).
- The 13 steals in the game is a season high and most since they had 14 against St. John's on Jan. 21, 2005.
- The 21 free throws made by CC is the most of the season and highest since they also connected on 21 against Hamline on Feb. 3, 2007.
- Luke Linz had 15 points against Gustavus and has now scored 1,089 points in his career. He is sixth on the school's all-time scoring chart. Next up is Jim Bjorklund who scored 1,098 points from 1971-74.
- Linz has scored in double figures in all but one game this season. He was held to eight points at MSU Moorhead on Dec. 15.
- Linz has scored in double figures in all six of the Cobbers' MIAC games this season. He has scored at least 10 points in 26 consecutive conference games - a streak that dates back to Jan. 18, 2006 when he injured his foot against Hamline and was limited to two points.
- Erik Lien had a team-high 17 points for CC. It is the fourth time this season he has led the team in scoring.
- Lien has now scored in double figures in eight straight games and in nine of the team's 11 games.
- Lien also had a career-high eight rebounds. His previous high was against Luther on Nov. 24.
- Ryan Hagemeyer had a career-high nine points. His previous high was six at MSU Moorhead on Dec. 15.
- Gustavus saw their seven-game winning streak come to an end. They are now 8-3/4-2 MIAC and in a tie for third place with the Cobbers.
- The 25 turnovers by Gustavus is a season high and most since they had 27 against Thomas Moore on Dec. 21, 2003.
- Gustavus was led in scoring by senior Trevor Wittwer. He had 13 points and has now scored in double figures in 10 of the team’s 11
games this year and currently has
929 career points.