2008-09 Men's Basketball - Game Recaps
Cobber senior Cody Dyshaw looks to make an entry pass in the first half of the Cobbers' 69-68 win over Gustavus on Saturday.
Oh My, Oh Olmscheid!


Gameday Scoreboard:


8-8/7-4 MIAC


6-10/4-8 MIAC


Game Stats: Concordia vs. Gustavus Box Score - Now Online!

Gameday Menu:

Opponent's Website: Gustavus Men's Basketball

MIAC Website: MIAC Men's Basketball

MIAC Standings/Statistics Website: MIAC Men's Basketball Standings/Stats

Gameday Rewind:

Game Stats: Concordia vs. Gustavus Box Score - Now Online!

Gameday Game Recap:

MOORHEAD, Minn. (1/24/09)-- Concordia sophomore Darrin Olmscheid scored 22 of his career-high 30 points in the second half and helped the Cobbers rally from a seven-point halftime deficit to edge Gustavus 69-68 in Moorhead on Saturday. The win snaps a three-game losing streak for CC and improves their overall record to 7-10 on the year. Concordia is now 4-8 in the MIAC.

Olmscheid's heroics were even more impressive given the fact that Concordia leading scorer John  Fraase injured his ankle in the first half and did not play in the second period. Olmscheid finished the game by going 11-for-18 from the floor and 7-for-8 from the free throw line to post his first 30-point game. Olmscheid was 7-for-8 from the field in the second half. He was the only CC player that had more than eight points in the game. Olmscheid also finished with a game-high seven rebounds.

Gustavus (8-8/7-4 MIAC) was led by Robert Schmidt who was 4-for-5 from behind the arc and had 18 points. Ryan McPartland added 14 points and seven rebounds. GAC leading scorer Jesse Van Sickle was held to only two points in the game, his lowest point toal of the season.

As a team Concordia shot 51.0% (25-for-49) from the floor and 40.0% (4-for-10) from behind the arc. Gustavus connected on 48.1% (25-for-52) from the field and a solid 54.5% (6-for-11) from 3-point range.

The turning point of the game was at the start of the second half. After Concordia labored throughout the first half and trailed by as many as 11 points before finishing the half down by seven, the Cobbers scored the first 10 points of the second period and grabbed a 37-34 lead with just 2:25 gone in the final half. The game would go back-and-forth from that point forward with the Cobbers never leading by more than three points and the Gusties only being able to take a five-point lead with 6:51 to play in the game.

Concordia took the lead at 62-61 with 3:27 to play then had the Gusties tie the game on three occasions in the final three minutes of play. The final time came with :31 seconds to play when Sam Paulson hit a pair of free throws for Gustavus. Concordia then inbounded the ball and point guard Karl Olson was able to gain control and then attract a foul. He hit one of two free throws with 3.1 seconds to play to give CC the 69-68 lead. After a series of timeouts to set up the final play of the game, Gustavus' inbounds pass was picked off at midcourt by Olson and he was able to dribble out the final seconds of play.

The Cobbers will now hit the road for five consecutive away games. Concordia will play at Carleton on Wednesday, Jan. 28 and then finish off the week by playing at Bethel on Saturday, Jan. 31.