Dan Perry celebrates his ninth goal of the year in Concordia's 3-3 tie with UW-Stevens Point.

Cobbers Earn Tie With Pointers!

Courtesy of GoCobbers.com, Release: January 6

UW-Stevens Point Box Score - Now Online!

Gameday Scoring Recap


Gameday Action Pictures

(click on picture to see larger image)

Gameday Recap

MOORHEAD, Minn. -- Midway through the second period it looked as if Concordia's ability to shine in non-conference games was about to come to come to an end.

UW-Stevens Point had just taken a 2-0 lead and was looking to run away with the game.

That's when Cobber scoring sensation Dan Perry turned the game around by scoring his ninth goal of the year and helping Concordia gain a hard-fought 3-3 overtime tie with the Pointers.

Concordia entered the game with a 5-1-0 record against teams outside the MIAC, while owning a dismal 0-4-0 record in conference play. The Cobbers used the final 35 minutes of the game to show why they have beaten a top 10 team and ran off a four-game winning streak to start the season.

Concordia pressured the Pointer defense in the final period and almost came away with the game-winner midway through the overtime period when Mike Vlasak found himself all alone in front of the UW-Stevens Point net with the puck on his stick. Vlasak was unable to capatalize and the Cobbers came away with the 3-3 tie. Concordia is now 5-5-1 on the year.

The Pointers had a golden opportunity of their own in the overtime period. With five seconds remaining, the puck slid behind Cobber goalie Mike Dowers and appeared to be headed into the goal, however Dowers was some how able to stop the puck before it crossed the line and the teams settled for the tie.

UW-Stevens Point runs their season record to 7-5-1.

The Pointers got on the board first. After a scoreless first period, Russel Law and Anthony Forgione staked Stevens Point to a two-goal lead.

That is when Perry stepped in to start the Cobber rally. He scored his goal at 12:53 of the period and then Jake Dibble scored his first collegiate goal at 17:47 to tie the score at 2-2.

The teams traded chances in the third period with the Pointers getting the better of the play throughout the period. Stevens Point finally appeared to put the game away with a power play goal at 11:37.

Concordia waited until 16:26 before tying the game at 3-3. Cory Johnson picked the perfect time to come up with his first collegiate goal. The freshman all-conference football player slid home a rebound from just in front of the net to send the game into overtime.

The Pointers held a decisive 47-21 in shots on goal but could not crack the outstanding goaltending of Dowers. Dowers turned aside a career-high 44 shots, including 20 in the third period alone.

Pointer goalie Marcus Paulson made 18 saves to earn the tie.

The Cobbers will turn around and host UW-Eau Claire on Saturday, Jan. 7 at 7:00pm.