Concordia freshman Alec Holen gets stymied by St. mary's goalie Curtis Nosal in the Cobbers'

7-0 loss to the Cardinals.

Friday Night-Mare!

Courtesy of, Release: January 27

St. Mary's Gameday Preview

St. Mary's Box Score - Now Online!

Gameday Scoring Recap

St. Mary's

Gameday Action Pictures

(click on picture to see larger image)

Gameday Recap

MOORHEAD, Minn. -- Like all the bad horror movies where the monster never dies and you think that there is now way it could come back to life, Concordia lost 7-0 for the third straight MIAC series opener. The Cobbers are now 0-4 on Friday night in the MIAC and have been outscored 33-1 during those nightmares.

St. Mary's broke out of their recent scoring slump to record their first shutout since Jan. 24, 2004. The win is only the third for the Cardinals all season and it ends a seven-game losing streak.

Concordia is now fittingly 0-7-0 in conference play and 5-10-1 overall. The Cobbers are winless in their last 15 league games in a stretch that dates back to the middle of last season. St. Mary's improves to 2-7-0 in the MIAC and 3-13-1.

Once again the story line for Concordia was their inability to score on the power play. Not only are the Cobbers being held scoreless on man-advantage situations but they have given up five shorthanded goals in the past three games.

Special teams contributed to the first two St. Mary's goals. The Cardinals notched a power play goal at 15:31 of the opening period, and then backed it up with a shorthanded score at 18:09.

St. Mary's would add three more goals in the second period as they continued to break down the Cobber defense by quickly transitioning from defense to offense and taking advantage of the slower Concordia defensemen. Jesse Polk scored two of the goals in the period, beating Cobber starting goalie Jeremy Boniface on mini-breakaways for each goal. Adam Gill finished the trio of tallies by scoring the first of his two goals in the game at the 18:05 mark.

Concordia was able to create solid offensive chances against the St. Mary's defense, but whenever they found an opening in front of the net, the shot was either fired at Cardinal goalie Curtis Nosal or Nosal made a tremendous stop to thwart the effort.

The Cobbers pushed harder into the offensive zone in the third period but were unable to beat Nosal. Concordia outshot St. Mary's 14-10 in the final 20 minutes but came away with no goals while allowing two more. David Gross scored his seventh goal of the year at 9:31 and then Gill added his second at 13:42 to complete the scoring.

Concordia actually outshot St. Mary's in the game 37-33 but while the Cobber shots were from farther out and shot into the St. Mary's logo in the middle of Nosal's jersey, the Cardinal shots were from in close and sprayed from post to post.

Boniface played the first two periods in goal for the Cobbers and turned aside 18 shots. Mike Dowers entered the game in the third period and made eight saves in 20 minutes of action. Nosal stopped all 37 shots he faced to pick up his first collegiate shutout. He is now 2-8-0 on the year.

The Cobbers finished the game 0-for-9 on the power play and are now 2-for-28 on the power play in the last three games and have given up five shorthanded goals.

St. Mary's went 1-for-4 on the man-advantage situation.

The two teams will finish the series on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 2:00pm at the Moorhead Sports Center.