Jenna Freudenberg takes the ball inside in Concordia's 70-64 loss to Carleton.

Cobbers Fall To Knights!

Courtesy of, Release: February 4

Carleton Gameday Preview

Carleton Box Score - Now Online!

Gameday Scoring Summary

1st Half
2nd Half

Gameday Action Pictures

(Click on picture to see larger image)

For a complete Cobber women's basketball photo gallery from the 2005-06 season please go to:

Gameday Game Recap

MOORHEAD, Minn. -- Concordia wasn't able to overcome a 38.0% field goal percentage, a 21.4% shooting percentage from 3-point range and 20 turnovers and lost to a hard-charging Carleton team 70-64.

The loss drops the Cobbers into second place in the MIAC by .5 games after St. Ben's beat St. Thomas on Saturday. Concordia is now 12-3 in the conference while the Blazers, who have played on more game than the Cobbers, are now 13-3 in the league.

Concordia also sees their seven-game winning streak fall by the way side as they fall to 15-5 overall.

Carleton has now won three straight games and is 11-5 in the MIAC. They have also won eight of their last nine games and are 13-8 overall.

Concordia was led by sophomore Melanie Hageman. Hageman led all players with 22 points. She also hauled down a game-high 14 rebounds. It is the fifth time this season she has posted a double-double and sixth time she has scored 20-plus points.

Jenna Freudenberg was the only other Cobber to score in double figures as she finished with 10 points.

Megan Vig was the high-scorer for the Knights with 19 points, but the difference-maker in the game was reserve forward Sarah Lincoln. Lincoln, who was averaging 7.0 points put up a 14 points and hauled down a team-high six rebounds.

The game on the court was decided in the second half. After the teams traded runs throughout the first 20 minutes and played a free-flowing, rhythmic first half. The second period was characterized by multiple stops and starts because of 30 fouls. In the first half the referees allowed the teams to play and there were only 10 free throws attempted. In the second half, the two teams combined to shoot 43 free throws.

For the first 20 minutes, the teams traded the lead seven times and with Carleton hitting the final shot of the period to grab a 27-26 lead at halftime.

The second half looked to be a repeat of the first as Concordia caught the Knights after four minutes and briefly took the lead at 34-33. That is when Carleton seized control of the game. In the next two minutes, they outscored the Cobbers 8-0 and grabbed a 44-36 lead.

Concordia was able to cut the lead to four points at the midway point but every time they made a run, Carleton would respond.

The margin was cut to three points with 1:45 remaining in the game and it looked as if the game would be decided in the final seconds. However, the Knights four straight points to take a 69-62 lead with only 30 seconds to go.

In the end, the margin was six points at 70-64. The Knights finished the game by shooting 49.0% (25-of-51) from the floor and 35.7% (5-of-14) from behind the arc.

The Cobbers held a decided 36-20 edge in rebounds but were outscored 24-14 in points from players coming off the bench. Lincoln's 14 points were a huge part of the Knight bench success.

Concordia will have a one-day rest before hosting St. Catherine on Monday, Feb. 6 at 5:30pm. The game can be heard live on the internet at: