Concordia goalie Mads Schmidt goes up to make the save in the Cobbers' 2-1 loss against St. Scholastica on Sunday.

One Bad Break


1st Half
2nd Half

Box Score | Picture Gallery

MOORHEAD, Minn. (9/13/09)-- Concordia played its most complete game of the season on Sunday against St. Scholastica but unfortunately a bad bounce goal sent the Cobbers to their third straight loss. Concordia is now 2-3 on the season with all three defeats coming at home. The Saints stay unbeaten on the year and move to 3-0.

Concordia and the St. Scholastica were tied at 1-1 with 17:00 to play in the second half when a shot from 20 yards out deflected off the Cobber defender's foot then arced into the air with top spin. Instead of flying over the net or dying due to the collision, it rolled over the top of Cobber goalie Mads Schmidt like a Roger Federer topspin lob and ducked under the crossbar to give the Saints the go-ahead goal at 73:11.

Concordia would have a couple of quality chances in the final 15 minutes of play with the best coming off the foot of defender Michael Redinger on a corner kick at the 77:20 mark.

St. Scholastica broke out to a 1-0 lead less than six minutes into the game when Joey Maida collected the first of his two goals in the game. Maida ran past the ball-watching Cobber defense and headed home a cross from seven yards out. The play was set up by a free kick deep in Concordia's own end.

The Cobbers wasted little time in gaining the equalizer. Junior midfielder Alex Dahl collected the ball in the middle of the field and slid a pass to Marco Riboli. Riboli took one look across the field and lofted a diagonal pass over the top of the Saints defense that found wing midfielder Philip Bruckbauer on the right side of the penalty area. Bruckbauer took the pass and then roofed a shot from seven yards off of the end line. For Bruckbauer it was his second goal of the season.

The teams went into the break tied at 1-1. The best chance of the second half for either team came in the 69th minute when CC freshman forward Kristian Reiersgord broke past the Saints defense and pushed the ball past Scholastica goalie Sam Reed. Reiersgord had to run wide to collect the ball and was able to get a good shot off that was heading for the open net. Reed made the save of the game when he recovered from the initial dive and sprinted back toward the ball and dove to just get a hand on Reiersgord's shot before it went toward the goal.

The game was a physical affair with 29 fouls and five cards. There were tow yellow cards dished out in the first half and then two more in the second period to go along with a red card that was given to one of the Scholastica players after a 50-50 challenge in the Saints' defensive end of the field. The red card at 78:05 gave the Cobbers the chance to play one man up for the final 11:55 of the game.

The two teams finished the game with 12 shots each. St. Scholastica had six shots on goal and Concordia had four shots on frame. Cobber goalie Mads Schmidt finished with four saves in the game while Saints goalie Sam Reed had three.

Concordia will return to MIAC action on Wednesday, Sept. 16 when they host Macalester at 5 p.m.