Concordia freshman forward Kristian Reiersgord wins a head ball in the middle of the field in the Cobbers' 2-1 loss to Macalester.

Second Half Goals Cost Cobbers


1st Half
2nd Half

Box Score | Picture Gallery

MOORHEAD, Minn. (9/16/09)-- Concordia got what they wanted from the first 45 minutes against Macalester in Moorhead on Wednesday. Unfortunately for the Cobbers a college soccer game lasts 90 minutes and the result is taken at the end of the entire game. After leading 1-0 at the half, Concordia gave up a pair of goals in the second half and lost 2-1 to the Scots. The loss is the fourth straight - all at home - and drops their season record to 2-4. Macalester snaps a one-game losing streak and is now 2-3-1 on the year.

Concordia controlled the early part of the game, registering six shots in the first 20 miutes of play. The Cobbers finally broke onto the scoreboard in the 31st minute when Kyle Quimby's service off of a free kick from 25 yards out defelcted off of the goalie's hands and into the net. Concordia had a pair of forwards go up with Scot goalie Mark Mullaney but he was unable to come up with the ball and the Cobbers came away with the 1-0 lead.

The lead would last until the 59th minute when Concordia turned the ball over 45 yards away from their own goal. A Macalester player served the ball into the box and a Cobber defender went to clear the ball away from goal. Unfortunately his clearing attempt hit the post and ricocheted right back towards a Scot player. The ball struck Taylor Rasmussen in the thigh and rolled helplessly into the Concordia goal for the equalizer.

The game-winning goal would come 10 minutes later when Erik Johnson whipped a ball in from the wing and Carson Gorecki got on the end of it to put it into the goal at 68:30.

Concordia would have a pair of golden opportunities come up just short in the final minutes of play and both off the foot of sophomore forward Riley McGlynn. In the 82nd minute McGlynn broke free on the left wing and turned the defense. His shot beat Mullaney but hit the inside of the left post and rolled along the goal line before finally rolling out the other side of the net. Then with 4:30 to play, McGlynn hit a shot from the right side of the penalty area. His shot was blocked by Mullaney but the ball bounced off the ground and behind Mullaney towards the goal. Mullaney did a nice job to turn and pounce on the ball before it rolled into the goal.

The two teams were deadlocked in shots for the game. Each squad had 13 total shots for the 90 minutes. Macalester had a slight 9-8 edge in shots on goal. Cobber goalie Mads Schmidt had seven saves and Mullaney also stopped seven shots for the Scots.

Concordia will head out on the road on Sunday, Sept. 20 when they play at Gustavus at 2 p.m.