Concordia goalie Ali Nelson dives to make a save on a breakaway at the end of the first half in the Cobbers' 1-0 win over Bethel.

Nelson Saves - CC Stays Perfect!


1st Half
2nd Half

Box Score | Picture Gallery

MOORHEAD, Minn. (9/29/09)-- Concordia returned to their formula of air-tight defense and just enough offense and posted their ninth straight win to start 2009 as they edged Bethel 1-0 in Moorhead on Tuesday. It is the fourth time in the last five games that the Cobbers have won by a 1-0 margin.

The Cobbers got a first-half goal from Sam Johnson and stellar play from goalie Ali Nelson in picking up their fifth conference win of the year. CC is now 9-0-0 overall and 5-0-0 in league play. The Royals get shutout for only the second time all season as they fall to 7-2-1 in all games and 1-2-1 in the MIAC.

The lone goal of the game came in the 21st minute of play when Johnson took a feed from Killashandra Link and fired the ball into the net from eight yards out. Link had gotten behind the Bethel defense on the left wing and then passed the ball across the goal to Johnson who was left unmarked standing just outside the small box. Johnson calmly sent home the game winner to collect her sixth goal of the season.

Both teams had their moments throughout the rest of the game. Bethel had a couple of golden opportunities to get the equalizer and the Cobbers had several chances to break the game wide open.

The best Royals chance came in the dying seconds of the first half. With time winding down, the ball was played long over the top of the Cobber defense at midfield. The CC defenders misjudged the ball and allowed BU forward Brittany Griffore to get behind them for a breakaway. Griffore dribbled towards the CC goal while Cobber goalie Ali Nelson closed ground to make the save. Griffore blasted a shot at the top of the box but Nelson had already closed to within three yards of the forward and collapsed to the ground to make the save. The ball then came right back to Griffore who then collected the ball and fired a second shot. Nelson got off the ground and dove to her right to make another big save. The ball went right back to Griffore for a third chance. She then tried to move farther to her left to get away from the recovering defenders and her pressured shot went wide left as the first half ended.

The Royals had their best chance of the second half in the first three minutes of the period when Lydia Bergeson broke free of the CC defense in the middle of the field. Bergeson came in on a breakaway but like Griffore, she was denied by the onrushing Nelson who made the save to stop the break and keep the score at 1-0.

The best chance for Concordia in the second 45 minutes came off the foot of Megan Rice. Rice found herself all alone in front of goal with the ball on her foot, no defenders in sight and the goalie stuck on the goal line. Unfortunately for the Cobbers, Rice's shot hit off the top of the crossbar and ricocheted away from goal.

For the game Concordia outshot Bethel 17-10 in total shots and 8-5 in shots on goal. The Cobbers also had a 3-1 edge in corner kicks.

Nelson made five saves to earn her eighth win of the year and her fifth shutout. Bethel goalie Alyssa Riggs stopped seven shots in the losing effort.

Concordia will remain at home when they face St. Mary's on Saturday, Oct. 3 at 1 p.m.