Tennis Box Scores
|Site Date Opponent Time|
|H 3/22 Bethel Noon|
| Match Results |
Cobbers Cruise Past Bethel 8-1.
Concordia rolled through the opening doubles matches, taking all three, and cruised to an 8-1 win over Bethel.
All three doubles teams for Concordia started off quickly, and went on to establish wins which staked the Cobbers to a 3-0 lead. The number one doubles team of Joe Amsberry (Sr., Park Rapids, Minn.) and Todd Scearcy (Sr., Spicer, Minn.) won their first doubles match of the year as they collected an 8-4 win over Anthony Branitski and Joe Dutcher.
In singles competition, Concordia won the first five matches to establish an 8-0 lead with only one match to play. The best match of the day featured Concordia's Joe Amsberry, who rallied from one set down to win 10-8 in the super set tie-breaker. Amsberry, playing in the number two singles spot, lost the first set 6-2 to Bethel's Branitski before winning the second set 6-3 which set up the decisive super set. The win was Amsberry's first singles victory of the season.
Jake Thomas (So., Indian Hills, Colo.) continued his hot streak by beating Nick Scheevel 6-2, 6-2 in the number one singles match. Thomas is now 4-0 on the season and has only lost two sets all year.
Concordia will travel to St. Peter, Minn. to play perennial national
power Gustavus on Friday, March 28 at 3:30pm. The Cobbers will continue
on to play at South Dakota State on Saturday, March 29 at 6:00pm.
Concordia - 8 vs. Bethel - 1
1. Jake Thomas (CC) def. Nick Scheevel (BC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Joe Amsberry (CC) def. Anthony Branitski (BC) 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
3. Todd Scearcy (CC) def. Joe Dutcher (BC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Eric Giga (CC) def. Pete Brulle (BC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Justin Berg (CC) def. Aaron Freer (BC) 7-5, 6-2
6. Chris Brewer (BC) def. Kevin Wick (CC) 7-6 (2), 7-5
1. Amsberry/Scearcy (CC) def. Branitski/Dutcher (BC) 8-4
2. Thomas/Giga (CC) def. Brulle/Scheevel (BC) 8-3
3. Berg/Kyle Knudson (CC) def. Brewer/Freer (BC) 8-5
page is maintained by the Concordia
Sports Information Office |