| Cobber Home | Help Us Recruit |Next Game
2003 Concordia Men's Soccer
| News | Schedule/Boxes | Roster | Stats | MIAC Race - Scores | Soc Home | Coaches | 02 | 03-WS |
Series Records |

2003 Box Scores
Site  Date     Opponent                                                   Time 
 H     10/04    St. Mary's                                                    1:00 

Last year: Concordia 0, St. Mary's 1
 2003 Concordia Men's Soccer Line Score
Teams 1st 2nd Final
St. Mary's 0 1 1
Concordia 1 1 2
 Cobbers snap 15-game MIAC winless streak. 

| Box Score | Action Picture Page |

Cobbers Win! Cobbers Win! Cobbers Win!
Jason VanValkenburg (Fargo, N.Dak.) congratulates Nwachukwu Chukwualoa (Lagos, Nigeria).  Chukwualoa put pressure on the St. Mary's goaltender which caused Concordia's second goal of the game.

(Moorhead, Minn.)-- Concordia scored two goals in nine minutes to break the longest league winless streak in school history and beat St. Mary's 2-0. The Cobbers scored a goal 34 seconds before the halftime break and then 8:22 into the second half in posting the coveted victory.

The streak had reached 700 days and 15 league games. Blanked in all of 2002, the Cobbers used a pair of first-time collegiate goalscorers to erase all the bad luck and improbable finished by downing the Cardinals. First-Year forward Mike Tidd (Fargo, N.Dak./fargo North HS) scored the opening goal of the game right before the break when he slotted home a pass from Brandon Root (Fr., Fargo N.Dak./Fargo South HS) from six yards out. The goal was Tidd's first points of his college career. Concordia stormed out of halftime and built a 2-0 lead when Tom Henderson (So., Fargo, N.Dak/Fargo South HS) played a ball into the St. Mary's goalmouth where the Cardinals keeper and teammate Nwachukwu Chukwualoa (Jr., Lagos, Nigeria/HGIC HS) both missed the ball as it rolled into the open net. The "good luck" goal was Henderson's first as a Cobber.

Concordia had a chance to extend the lead to 3-0 but Root's shot from 12 yards out, with only the goalie to beat, was placed over the top of the crossbar.

St. Mary's quickly drew to within a goal when Michael Johnson headed home his first goal of the season at the 64:01 mark.

The final 26 minutes of the game proved to be an eternity for the Cobbers. Goalkeeper Kris Overby (Sr., Fargo, N.Dak./Fargo South HS) was able to shut down the St. Mary's attack for the remainder of the game to preserve the streak-breaking victory. He finished with eight saves while St. Mary's goalie Bob Endemann had to make five saves over the 90 minutes.

With the two points for the win, Concordia jumps all the way into a tie for fourth place in the MIAC. The Cobbers will take an extended break before returning to action on Wednesday, October 15 when they host St. Thomas at 4:00pm.

Soccer Box Score:
             Records         1st 2nd Tot
St. Mary's (1-3-1, 1-8-1)   0   1   1
Concordia  (1-3-2, 4-5-2)   1   1   2

CC  - 44:26 - Mike Tidd (1) (Brandon Root, Judd Mann)
CC  - 53:22 - Tom Henderson (1) (Jerry Nathan, Jason Van Valkenburg)
SMU - 64:01 - Michael Johnson (Brian Reddison, Brayton Grinnell)

SMU  - 15
CC   - 12

Corner Kicks:
SMU  - 8
CC   - 2

SMU  - 15
CC   - 13

Goalie Saves:
SMU  - Bob Endemann (90 minutes)   - 5
CC   - Kris Overby  (90 minutes)   - 8


This page is maintained by the Concordia Sports Information Office  | sid@cord.edu |