Concordia sophomore Jared Collen had a pair of goals in the Cobbers' 4-3 loss at St. Scholastica on Saturday.
Cobbers Edged By Saints



Box Score

DULUTH, Minn. (11/07/09)-- For the second straight game Concordia dug themselves a multiple-goal hole in the first period. Unlike Friday, the Cobbers were able to recover in the second and rally to tie the game against St. Scholastica before being edged in the final period and losing 4-3. The loss is the fourth straight for Concordia to start the season. With the win, the Saints improve to 3-1-0 on the year.

The first period was unkind to Concordia over the weekend. The Cobbers were outscored 5-0 in the opening frame against UW-Superior and St. Scholastica. Those deficits would set the tone in each game and make each game an uphill battle for CC.

Against the saints, Concordia allowed a pair of goals less than three minutes apart in the first six minutes of play. The Saints scored at 2:58 of the opening frame and then added a second at 5:49.

The Cobbers were able to hold down the fort for the remainder of the period and then got back into the game in the first nine minutes of the second period. Concordia pulled to within one when Pat Deitz scored his fourth goal in as many games as he finished off a passing sequence from Shawn Goos and Casey Olson at 1:10. Jared Collen then tied the game with the first of his two goals. He notched his first goal of the year at the 8:41 mark to tie the game at 2-2. Ben Payne and Brian Kang were credited with the assists on the play. It was the first collegiate assist for both players.

St. Scholastica broke the tie when they scored their third even strength goal of the game at 12:34. The most critical point of the game came at the end of the second period when Concordia was whistled for a five-minute checking from behind penalty. That put the Saints on a five-minute power play to start the third period.

The Cobbers successfully killed off the five-minute penalty but had a let down after the penalty was over and Scholastica was able to post the eventual game-winning goal at the 5:52 mark.

Collen got the Cobbers back to within one at 4-3 when he scored his second goal of the game at 13:17. Kang picked up his second assist of the game and Robb Roy earned his first assist of the season.

Concordia was never able to put together a sustained offensive attack in the final six minutes of play and lost by the single goal.

The Saints outshot Concordia 33-17 for the game. Cobber goalie Jacob Vatnsdal stopped 29 shots in his first collegiate start. Scholastica goalie Zach Kleiman made 14 saves to earn his first win of the season.

Concordia was 1-for-2 on the power play and held the Saints scoreless in their four man-advantage situations.

The Cobbers will have their home opener next weekend when they host St. Mary's in the MIAC opener for both teams. The first game of the series is set for Friday, Nov. 13 at 7 p.m. at the Moorhead Sports Center.